Saturday, September 13, 2014

I Love to See the Temple


Isn't that beautiful?  Really, I love to see the temple.  The temple is the best!  Last night I was able to sit in the waiting room of this beautiful Raleigh Temple and share what I know about temples and what is possible because of them.  Temples can be scary, or maybe even weird.  I hope that I can help make them not that way as you read this!  These are some of the questions we get asked about the temple.

Why do we have temples?

This children's song teaches us why we have and attend the temple:

I love to see the temple.
I'm going there someday
To feel the Holy Spirit,
To listen and to pray.
For the temple is a house of God,
A place of love and beauty.
I'll prepare myself while I am young;
This is my sacred duty.

I love to see the temple.
I'll go inside someday.
I'll cov'nant with my Father;
I'll promise to obey.
For the temple is a holy place
Where we are sealed together.
As a child of God, I've learned this truth:
A fam'ly is forever.


We go to feel God's love
We go to meditate and find peace.
We go to promise God and receive blessings.
We go to make our families eternal, forever.
We go to serve others.
We go to show God our love.
Image of President Thomas S. Monson

“I think there is no place in the world where I feel closer to the Lord than in one of His holy temples.”
—President Thomas S. Monson


What happens there?  Why is it a secret?

Since the temple is the house of God, we must be clean and worthy to enter His home.  It is not secret, just sacred.  Here are some pictures of some of the rooms in the temple(:  Everything is crisp and clean and beautiful.
Roooms inside the temple

Some of the things that happen in the temple include the Endowment and Sealing ordinances.

Endowment
One ordinance we receive in the temple is the endowment. The word endowment means “gift” or “bestowal.” As part of this ordinance, we are taught about the purpose of life, the mission and Atonement of Jesus Christ, and Heavenly Father’s plan for His children. We gain a glimpse of what it will be like to live in His presence as we feel the peaceful atmosphere of the temple.

Sealing
Another temple ordinance is the sealing ordinance, in which husbands and wives are sealed to each other and children are sealed to their parents in eternal families. This means that if we are faithful to our covenants, our family relationships will continue for eternity. People sometimes also refer to this ordinance as “temple marriage” or “eternal marriage.”

Ordinances for the Deceased
In addition to receiving these ordinances for ourselves, we can receive them for our deceased ancestors. In this way, people who died without receiving essential ordinances such as baptism and confirmation, the endowment, and sealing have the opportunity to accept these ordinances.



I love the temple.  It brings me a peace and a strength that I can't find anywhere else.  I feel closer to my God there then anywhere else.  It is the only way to have an eternal family.  Even just visit the grounds or go into the waiting room and feel the peace that is there, then seek it out.

Here is a video of children singing this song:

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/music/2008/10?lang=eng&session=2&song=10&media=video


Here is a website about temples!  Or you can ask me any questions!  If you would like to go walk around the temple, let us know and we will happily walk with you!
https://www.lds.org/church/temples?lang=eng

No comments:

Post a Comment